Monday, October 12, 2009

Triangular

Today I wanted to look up the history of the Triangle.  What is its origin?  I assume it started as a letter in the Ancient Greek alphabet.

Did you notice I used the word "assume"?  You see, I didn't get very far in my research because the first page I reviewed (Wikipedia's page on the Triangle) was FILLED with geometry equations for the triangle. Vectors and angle degrees and GEOMETRY.  The minute math begins my eyes start to glaze over and my brain flashes "CAN NOT COMPUTE" in red (really, in RED!).

Since I'm pretty sure my page hasn't reached the masses (yet.), you probably know me if you're reading this.  If you know me, you've probably heard the story about how in my freshman and sophomore year of highschool I had this math teacher who was AWFUL at teaching math and yelled at me and made me cry and made math this awful gut-renching experience for me. This is a good story and I have good theories surrounding this and if you haven't heard the story yet , maybe we can talk some more about it some time.  

Right now, what's most important for you to gain from that little tale is the scar it left on my very soul.  You see, even though I successfully completed a series of math classes in college (with A's!), I have an instinctual avoidance of anything more complicated then simple addition or subtraction.

This makes me think about my preferences.  My likes and dislikes.  Are they mostly composed from scar tissue? From trauma that caused me to instinctually turn the other way?

Most recently I've been working on overcoming a performance anxiety.  You see, the last time I performed I sprained my other ankle.  It was the second time 6 months (the first ankle injury left me off my feet for quite some time).  It was right around this time last year when I got that first ankle injury.  The ankle injury that literally changed my life and my level of physical ability.  So, now I got a scar that makes me timid about performing (even though that second sprain was not nearly as bad and healed pretty quickly)(even though in my head I know that one performance injury does not equal another).

So, on Friday, I'm going to be performing for the first time since the early spring.  I guess there really is no healing a scar since by very nature they are permanent.  However, perhaps the area will not be so tender once I've leapt this hurdle.

As for those triangles, I'm just going to also assume that you already know about right, obtuse and acute angles and the triangles they create.   However, I will try to go back to that page someday and really read through all that math.

In the meantime,  perhaps we can focus on musical triangles,  I've always liked their shape and that pleasant little "ding".

P.S. Max already recognizes the Triangle shape.  It's one of his favorites because it's often linked to the shape of a slice of pizza. and that boy LOVES pizza!

P.P.S.  Yes, Yes, I know assume makes an ass out of u and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment