Sunday, October 4, 2009

Not the Every Day Kind of Girl

I haven't decided yet if this is going to be an every day kind of blog.  I have a lot of things to say.  I like having a place to say them.  I like that maybe 1 or 2 people might read it. However, I'm not an every day kind of girl.  I never have been.  In fact, one of the hardest aspects of motherhood for me is the everydayness of it.  There is NO ONE, not one person, that I want to hang out with EVERY DAY.  I go through little stints of intense "falling in love" with people.  We hang out alot, we go on little adventures, work up to some secret telling and then when we are close....REALLY close.....I just add you to the rotation of folks I like to hang out with.    I don't know if you noticed, I have some pretty amazing people in my life......and though I don't like to hang out with them every day, everytime I see them I'm filled with joy.  Isn't that magical?

The baby, the husband and the Meggan (Mae by proxy since she's so darn busy) are the most everyday people in my life.  In truth, I don't even hang out with THEM every day!

For example, The baby was at my mother's last night and is headed to The Husband's mom this morning.  Max LOVES this.  The Grandmas LOVE this (In fact, if too much time goes by they start calling US asking for him!).  I also really like this.  I think it makes me a better Mother to have some time to still be myself (and not just a mom).

And when he goes?  The place falls apart.

You see, with a Toddler we maintain a pretty busy schedule.  Three Meals a Day have to happen.  Bedtime and Bathtime has to happen.  Outside Play should happen if we'd like to maintain our sanity.  Dishes and Swept Floors and Clean Baththubs are a constant necessity.  No matter how we are feeling on a given day.....No matter how much we'd like to puke or crawl into bed or cry or lay on the couch watching the last 3 episodes of Top Chef, these things have to happen.  So when Max is gone, no dishes happen.  No Meals happen.  We spend most of our time out and about and eating out of containers.  If we aren't out?  We are likely sleeping.  In short, we revert back to our single days and it feels pretty delicious.

The Husband has decided not to work on the project when Max is not home.  I think he see this as more of an "educating Max" thing than an "we're doing this crazy art thing that might teach the baby something" thing.  Obviously, I'm more in line with the latter and so I am going to continue to participate even when the kid isn't here.  In fact, I think it's a great time to work on stuff for this project that has nothing to do with him.

For example, this morning I spent some time playing the blues on the piano and I learned that there is actually a formula for the Blues.  In fact, you can plug this formula into ANY key and you got the Blues!   (Just in case you need to know its 12 measures of the following: 4 Measures of the I chord, 2 Measures of the IV Chord, 2 Measures of the I Chord, 1 Measure of the V7 Chord , 1 Measure of the IV Chord, 2 Measures of the I Chord).

OR

Last night, while I was out at the bar with some friends I got a little warm and took off my bright yellow sweater.  I looked down and I realized I was now wearing NO yellow (gasp!).  This was a problem and I luckily had an overnight bag with me so I could grab another yellow clothing item. (No, I do not carry a bag filled with yellow clothes everywhere I go.)  Someone said, "You know, you created these limitations. You don't HAVE to wear yellow."  I said, "Yup, I know I created this.  And yes I do."

So, I guess I'm committed.  I guess This project and This Blog and I are in our intense "falling in love" phase.  We want to hang out every day.  We want to go on adventures.  I think that pretty soon this project is going to tell me a big secret.  Maybe I tell the blog a few of my own.

The Baby and The Husband have taught me that I can be a MOSTLY every day kind of person when I am in love and committed.   I'm pretty in love and commited to this project and to this Blog.  In some ways, it's becoming quite the little lifeline.

So, maybe life will keep showing me that I CAN be an every day kind of girl.

I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Off topic, but I want to say: I love reading this because I can hear your voice in my head speaking your words. Like a (bright yellow) line through space and time. Makes me smile :)

    dld

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, life will continue to show you that you CAN be an everyday kind of girl. I am glad to see that you are still yourself even after all these years.

    ~O~

    ReplyDelete