Thursday, October 1, 2009

There's No Turning Back Now!

October is:
Number:  1
Letters:  ABC
Color:  Yellow
Shape:  Triangle
Musical Genre:  The Blues
Medium:  Crayons
Location:  The Field Museum
New Habit:  Exercising Every Day for 20 Mins.


I have so much to say already.  As with any new project the first efforts and the first days take a little more work and some ironing out.

The absolute first thing I DO want to say is....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all those who have offered words of encouragement and advice.  It's helpful to have different eyes on this project because folks who don't live in my head often see things differently than I do. I'm so glad you are there to be my witnesses.  It absolutely DOES make me feel more accountable!

 You've also brought up a few good points.  So, I'm setting a few more parameters:

Outer Jackets/Sweaters/Coats and Shoes do NOT have to correspond with the month's particular color.  This would be far too costly to maintain. Although, I will make some good efforts at trying to at least show some color in my outerwear (ie: Max and I already have some pretty spiffy Yellow knit hats!)  The same goes for pants (ie: jeans).  This works under the original plan since I mention that only one major clothing item needs to be yellow.  Not all.  Although I'm definitely subscribing to the "More is More" way of thinking for this project.

Also, some Music listening issues came up.  If I am in a bar and someone plays Madonna will I go running out of the bar covering my ears?  No.  If we are at someone's house and they play Bon Iver while we are cooking, do I have to tell them to change it?  No. However, will I go to a Madonna concert in December when we are supposed to be listening to Folk music?  Not unless that's the day I choose as my ONE Free Day that month.

Also, there are some issues with my continued practice on the piano.  You see, I play the piano most every day.   For those of you who don't know, I played the piano while I was growing up.  When we moved into this apartment last year, our sunroom came with a lovely old baby grand piano.  I've been re-teaching myself how to play.  Am I advancing quickly?  Yes.  Re-Learning an old skill is easier than the first time.  Can I pick up just anything and play it?  Not. Really.  I can read music but don't really have the skill to master harder pieces.  I am definitely no where near being able to describe myself as "good".  Mostly, I've just been working my way through a series of books.  I'm halfway through the intermediate book and have been taking it one lesson/song at a time.  Do I know some Blues songs?  Yes.  A few.  However, I want to continue to get better at the piano and therefore since I'm "playing" the music and not just "listening" to it.....I'm going to say that it's o.k.  This project is about moving forward and erasing those stagnate feelings.  I don't want my musical practice to start gathering dust. Now, will I make an effort to play those blues songs I know or maybe learn a new one?  YES!

Now that we've gotten those few nuances out of the way.  Can I tell you about my project's first baby steps this morning?

All morning we listened to the Blues and I think our kitchen dance session was very bluesy.  I took ALL other music out of my ipod so I will absolutely NOT be tempted and ONLY put blues music in.  Some initial research pointed me to Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Otis Rush.   I dig Otis Rush who apparently has a distinct style that is reflective of the West Side of Chicago.  I think Stevie Ray Vaughn is a show off (but I DO like what he did with "Mary Had a Little Lamb").   I was already pretty familiar with Buddy Guy and I still think he's pretty alright.  I'm going do some more research but if YOU are familiar with the blues or you have a blues artist that you dig, please point them my way!

(Last night at exactly 11PM I put on my headphones and listened to the songs in my life that I just can't get enough of.  I needed to stay goodbye....since I won't be listening to them for awhile.  In fact, can you do me a favor?  Can you You Tube these two and listen to them for me?  Bon Iver - Re: Stacks and Thao and the Get Down Stay Down - Bag of Hammers (you'll need to get up and dance for this one.)  Tell them I say hello.  Thanks.)

Now for the Yellow.....

It's no secret that Yellow is one of my usual favorite colors. (I say usual because my favorite color changes from day to day but Yellow is a popular choice for me.)  Needless to say, I was excited that this was the first color for my project.  And so today we wore yellow.  I wore my favorite yellow dress and a brown and yellow scarf.  If you've spent some time with me, you've probably seen the dress.  It's a bright golden rod yellow.  You can't miss it.  Max wore a standard canary yellow t-shirt and a bright golden rod sweatshirt.  Ziggy even gamely wore a pale yellow button down.  You couldn't miss us and on this gray day I will even venture to romantically say that we were like little yellow rays of sunshine.  Everything was so dreary and little Max in his bright yellow definitely stood out.  I also noticed people looking at me constantly. I payed attention to what others were wearing and we were definitely the ONLY ONES in Yellow.  Why don't people wear more yellow?  Ziggy thought that maybe folks thought we were tourists.  Whatever.....maybe we are tourists in LIFE!

Also, I was excited and happy to notice the Yellow around us.  You can't help but notice Yellow things because they always stand out from the rest of the world.  I took some pictures and I need to learn how to post pictures here.  (Hey, Does anyone know how to post pictures on a blog?  HELP!)   We ate Cuban food for lunch from my favorite little cuban market/restaurant.  The plantains were a fried a dark brown/black color on the outside but inside were a lovely lush and creamy yellow.

Clearly, this yellow stuff is making me pretty happy.

When I'm done with this entry, I'm going to go get some butcher paper out and make a big "sign" that displays what we are doing this month.  I'm going to hang it in the dining room.  Jack also suggested a cork board to not only post this month's color, letter, etc but also hang any pictures or findings or whatever tidbits our month brings us.  This is a good idea.  Meggan suggested last night that we should make the letters, shape and number out of the month's medium.   This is another great idea and I will put these in Max's room.

I'm also excited and nervous about this month's new habit.   Exercising for 20 mins a day is a commitment.  I've been trying to start a healthy living exercise plan for awhile now, so I'm really glad that this New Habit is happening right away.  It's just 20 mins right?  I can find 20 mins in my day for exercise right?  That nagging little voice of self-doubt is whispering some negativity to me right now.  I'm just going to choose not to listen.

In fact, maybe that's the thing I'll do first when I get up from this chair.  I think my yellow Popeye t-shirt would look great while working out.


2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! You are such a great writer. Having a monthly theme is a great way to step out of the everyday box and try something new.

    It makes me want to pick up something yellow (maybe a scarf)up to wear on the way home, when I get home play some Pandora radio and just type in blues learn about some blues music and artist and dance around the kitchen while I'm making dinner, (20 min of exercise). I actually read about the pirate exhibit at the field museum this morning. I will look forward to reading your blogs monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Samantha go!! Sending love as you embark on your new project....

    -lindsay

    ReplyDelete