Monday, October 5, 2009

Meanderings

After the last post wherein I confirm my commitment to all things project and blog related, I fell off the wagon.

Kinda.

This morning I have been listening to a lot (and I mean A LOT) of country music. Mae, knowing my love of old country music, asked me to participate in a Honky Tonk Burlesque show on the 16th.  I fretted when I got the text.  I haven't been performing at all.  In fact, I haven't performed since the spring. (But, that's a story for another time.) What about the Blues?  October is the Blues!  However, she was in kind of a bind and this was a small scale show.  Ultimately, it's a good idea to get my feet wet again and an even better idea to help out a friend.

SO, I'm doing it and that means I need to pick a song.

Now, I don't know about your artistic process but when I'm working on something I need to do a survey.  I rarely have that moment when I know exactly what medium, canvas, costume or song I should use.  So, I had to listen to all my old country music (I have a quite a bit.) to find the perfect song.  Once the song is finally chosen, I'll have to listen to it over and over and over again.  I'll have to become so familiar with it's like a favorite pair of shoes.  I'll need to picture the choreography and then I'll need to practice that choreography. Over and Over and Over again.  It's not easy to make taking that bra off look easy! ;)

So, where does this leave the Blues?

Well, I DID say in my original "manifesto" that the art medium for the month is subject to outside commission or performance. Maybe that can be applied to the music in this situation?  I will get paid some money to do this show.  I could really use the money.  Once the song is chosen, it'll really only be ONE country music song I'm listening to.   As long as I spend the rest of my time listening to the Blues, I think it'll be o.k.

Like right now, as I type this I'm listening to Buddy Guy and Junior Wells JAM a song entitled "A Man of Many Words".

  I can relate.

In other news Blues related, I've re-discovered a band I used to love.  A hundred years ago,  I went to see a show at Martyr's with a friend of mine.  That band was called Mofro.  I LOVED this band.  They had this neat old-timey silver rectangular microphone hanging from the ceiling.   They were all these self-proclaimed "cracker red-neck" guys in flannels playing this incredible blues music.  So, I pulled out this old cd and have reclaimed them.

Here's a you tube video of them.  It's not a good one and it's missing that amazing microphone but the video is from 2001.  That's right around the same time I saw them:



In other, other news, finding time to exercise even 20 mins everyday can be challenging at times.  I've been sticking to it though.  I have to say, I kinda really like it.  Today I went for a lovely bike ride with Meggan.  We rode along Glenwood  for a stretch.  It was a perfect autumn moment.  The air was crisp but the sun was shining (and so was my bright yellow t-shirt!).  The crackle of leaves under our wheels.  Halloween decorations in my crate.  Talking about life and ideas and halloween costume plans.

In a little while I'll get back on my bike and head to dance class.  Afterwards, I'll head to the Laundromat with Mae and Meggan. (I kinda love the laundromat).

Today is a good day.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you. You are far more committed than what you gave yourself credit for in the very beginning. Good for you, your having fun with it. Thats what counts..enjoying what your doing. I think some of the little changes are just fine. The show is like a job in sorts..so its a country job, but your still dedicated to your blues..awesome. You've got gumption...I'm impressed. If I could just get half the things I want to do done, I'd be a very happy gal. Keep it all up, your doing awesome!
    Love thy Earth, Anna

    ReplyDelete