Saturday, October 10, 2009

In Other News.....

Again I want to thank folks for their encouraging words.  As I've mentioned before, I struggle with a lot of self doubt.  So there is a level of exposure in keeping this blog and sharing this silly idea of a project with you.  I'm so glad I did.

And I apologize gentle readers for my recent absence, I've been a little busy doing one of two things:

1. Baking large quantities of oatmeal cranberry pecan cookies.

2. Spending time with people I rarely get to see who absolutely fill my heart with joy.

Who are these people?  Well, let me indulge myself with some gushing:

Kevin M.  - This is a strange one because we literally live down the block from each other (o.k. 10 blocks down the same block) but we RARELY see each other.  This is also strange because this is someone who was literally attached to my hip during a very crucial time in my life.  I love this guy deep in my gut and every conversation I have with him is always really, really amazing.   He's also one of the most fun people I know.  If you want to go on an adventure, you should call up Kevin because he'll probably be game.

Tante Erna - Ziggy's Aunt who was here from Germany.  Possibly the cutest Aunt alive.  ("Tante" means Aunt in German.)  She's 78 and Sturdy and ADORABLE.  She's kind of like a German Julia Child's and has this really adorable way of saying "Hullooo".  I got to spend the whole day with her today and I had to constantly resist to urge to nuzzle her.

Ambryn - Oh god.  I love ambryn and her fancy hats.  The nice thing about Ambryn is that she's always up for a dance break and I can nuzzle her anytime I want.

Kevin and I really have no excuse for not hanging out more (except that life often gets in the way of our best intentions).  However, the two women live so far away and that makes me sad.  Seeing them is like a little nugget of joy in my mouth.  So, I guess it's bittersweet.  While an everyday kind of relationship with them would be grand, their distance makes time with them all the more poignant.

I have more to say and I shall.

Today Ambryn, Mae, Meggan and I did some carousing.  We started at the Sovereign (which is hands down my favorite bar in edgewater) and ended up at a party.  This party made each of us feel incredibly old.  Incredibly Old, in a GOOD way.  The one lovely boy I spoke to at this party asked me what I felt has changed now that I am 30.  I said that I'm so much better at life.  I like what I like.  I know what I don't like.  I'm finally too cool to worry about being cool.  (Which explains the mass amounts of ridiculous dancing at the bar earlier this evening.)  I like this.  I REALLY like this.

However there is a flip side......I'm no longer careless.  Life has shown me its consequences and there is danger lurking around every corner.

For example, I've never had a lot of fear surrounding late nite walking home from my illicit urban adventures.  However, as I parted ways with my friends and began my short 3 block walk home.  I was more than wary.  Wary enough to feel slightly fearful.  Too many bad things have happened to people I know.  The days of innocence are definitely gone.....which is probably for the best.

Ultimately, I DO like the views from this decade, am willing to take the lessons learned and am constantly grateful for  the people who are still traveling this journey with me.

Yes, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment