Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Play-Dough is Clay for Toddlers.

So, today I made play-dough.  When I said that to a friend on the phone just now she was impressed, but it really wasn't hard at all.

Do YOU want to make play-dough?  Here's how:


1 cup (250ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (125ml) salt
1 cup (250ml) flour
1 tbsp. (15ml) each oil , cream of tartar (a preservative), and food coloring.
Boil the water, add the salt, and bring back to the boil. Remove from heat, add the flour, oil, cream of tartar and food coloring. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, knead until it's smooth.

(This recipe was taken from www.makeplaydough.com an AMAZING website that has all kinds of fun crafty things for kids!)

My playdough is a bright and vivid blue (I simply couldn't/wouldn't make brown play-dough.).  It was really malleable and when it was warm, it was really quite nice.  Max liked it too and he only tried to eat it once (it's pretty salty so I think he was deterred by that). He kept grabbing an indistinct mass and exclaiming, "LOOK, KITTY" or "LOOK, DINOSAUR"!  Clearly he's as easily entertained as I am.

I'm thinking this would be a really nice christmas gift for toddlers/younger kids.  Different colored balls of play-dough each in their own little mason jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment