Monday, November 2, 2009

How Now Brown Cow?

NOVEMBER is:


Number: 2
Letters: D, E
Color: Brown
Shape: Square
Music: Classical
Medium: Clay
Location: Zoo
Habit: Make the bed every morning

After all the excitement of last month, this month feels like I'm falling into a nice soft (brown) pillow.  My initial experiences with this months categories is that they are rather soothing.  Brown is a soothing color.  It lacks the bright joy of Yellow.  I don't feel like I stand out in brown.  The Classical music I listened to all morning had a very soothing quality to it.  Pushing your hands into some clay has a very relaxing quality to it.  There is something very nurturing about all of this.

Just like the blues, classical music is something I have very little experience with.  (I have to admit, iIm not going to miss the blues.)  So, I'd be grateful for any great recommendations.  There are so many subcategories to Classical music.  Do you want to listen to Baroque?  How about Restoration?  Opera?  Romantic?  Celtic?  Medieval? Classical Crossover?   It goes on and on.  I could really use some direction.  So today, I found this amazing website based out of Boston.  Not only does it have great podcasts of Classical performances (with little stories about the performers) but it also livestreams classical music 24 hours a day.  YES!  I turned it up loud and it seemed to fill up all the nooks and crannies in the apartment.  I think I'm going to like this.

Changing my life over from Yellow to Brown has not been as horrible as I thought.  I loved the Yellow. I'm really glad the project started with yellow because it was a bit of a challenge and a major life change.  Wearing Yellow everyday is kind of special.  Wearing brown every day?  Not a big deal.  In fact, I think this might be a little too easy.  However, I think it's nice that some colors will be hard and some will be a bit simpler.  I'm not much of a brown person, I prefer black over brown.  I DO have brown clothes though and they all are kind of cozy comfy clothes.  Like today, I'm wearing a some brown cotton pants (the kind with a lot of pockets) and a pink and brown striped thermal and tan socks and my brown doc marten shoes I've had since I was 19. (In fact, I WAS a brown person in my teens!)  Yesterday, I wore a brown long-sleeved t-shirt with some detailing, jeans and my brown mary jane doc martens.  Do you see a pattern forming here? I do.

I have to admit that I haven't really started working on the other categories because the baby has been at his Oma's but he comes back tomorrow and we will begin in earnest then.

The last thing I'd like to talk about is the New Habits.  I used the word "Habit" because I wanted to pick things that I felt would be good for us to try and if it works; to maintain.  So, I'm definitely going to keep exercising.  I have to say that I didn't see a lot of visible results with my daily exercising from last month but it did make me feel good.  Hopefully, as I progress perhaps 20 mins a day can turn into 30, etc.

The bed making habit is something we tried when we first moved into this apartment and it kind of fell off the map.  I've really come to appreciate the value of getting into a bed that's been made at night.  I don't think we'll have to much of a problem with this.

Finally, I know I've not been very cohesive in this post and my writing has been spotty at best.  So, please accept my apologies.  I'm a little under the weather but I wanted to get this month started officially.  The comments and encouragement from this blog really helped carry me through this month.    Thanks for that.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Celtic...check it out and I hope you like it. I like the brown when it comes to clothes..for some odd reason for me, brown clothes tends to mean cozy clothes that feel good when I climb into them..like fuzzy soft sweaters and such. Good luck with this month and I'll be keeping up with your post for two good reasons...because I love them and because just for you I want to help you stay accountable, lol. Love ya girlie, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studies have shown you sleep better when you get in a well made bed. Good luck with your brown month pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete