Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Purple Urple

So.....let me tell you about the main thing I'm learning from this art project. The minute something becomes a rule for me is the minute I decide I don't want to do it anymore. This explains why you'll find me sneakily listening to non-jazz music or deciding it's o.k. to go to bed in an orange t-shirt and yellow pants. This is why our monthly habits have not become new habits at all. And really? This is what I'm taking away from February: I'm an incorrigible rule-breaker.

As always though, I was wearing mostly purple and I think purple is really a rather lovely color. I also listened to Jazz. Sadly, I am simply not bestirred by Jazz the way I am with some other music but my god, I LOVE Nina Simone. She hits me right in my gut every single time.

Max knows all of his shapes and colors by now so, really that whole part of the project is an afterthought. (You should hear him say "Octagon", it's adorable.) The letters are still all "B" to him but I think pretty soon he'll come around. As for the numbers, I'm pretty sure he can count up to at least 15 and he knows what the number 2 looks like. In less than a week, he will be 3 - so we will work on that number then. ;)

Finally, I went to the Art Institute twice this month. By some stroke of luck, February was the free month. I'd like to say I preplanned this but since the order was mostly drawn out of a hat that would be a lie. I meant to go once a week but February just disappeared for me. One minute it was February 2nd and the next time I blinked it was February 28th. I wasn't necessary crazy busy, I think I'm just in a gray sky daze.

So, yeah, the Art Institute. I feel like I need to preface this paragraph by saying that the Art Institute has long been one of my favorite places in the city. I've gone their all the way through my teens and my 20s. It used to be "Pay what you can" and so I'd pull out what ever crumbled bills I had on me and spend hours wandering around.

I hadn't been since they opened to new Modern Wing and I like Renzo Piano's work so I was excited to check it out. I will say that it's nice. It looks more like a gallery space and less like a museum. I will also say that the museum overall feels changed in a way that doesn't jive with me anymore and I spent much of my time mourning that change.

As for max? He was mostly uninterested in the whole thing. He did like the buddha sculptures but he did each of the children's areas too quickly to appreciate them. I think we will try again when he is a bit older.

There you have it. February is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment