Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Star Star

I've been thinking about stars a lot this month. Thinking about what I want to say to "you" about stars. What stories I want to share. Don't we all have lovely star stories? I've realized that i'd write here more often if I didn't feel the need to edit what I say to keep this family friendly but here I am...human.

So, three star stories:

Driving in the Desert with my brother at night. The sky is....endless. That amazing limitless-ness of driving in the middle of the desert creates.....the sky is seems so - close. As if you can pluck a cloud out of the sky and put it in your mouth and let it melt there. We were driving in Nevada near where the super top secret government testing occurs (ie: aliens, hovercrafts, etc) and so we were watching the sky really closely huddled up on the dashboard, crazy high. Giggling and believing all the conspiracy theories we are imparting on one another. Then we saw this amazing series of shooting stars......and at that moment it seemed like they were there just so we could see them.


Michigan Peace Fest - a few years ago - we put this blanket I've had for years in the main square/stage area a little ways back and it stayed there all weekend. Folks were welcome to sit on it, nobody moved it, it got damp with dew in the night but by high noon the sun dried it........and we'd sit back there drinking and dancing and talking and taking in the sky......Shiny and Bright or clear and starry. At one point, I was out there by myself staring at the sky, listening to the band, twirling and feeling truly happy. I layed back and watched the stars and I dozed off for awhile until some folks arrived to share the blanket. It's such a small moment, a tiny microscopic moment in a big life but it is one that I will always cherish.

There are two songs in my family that we all sing to each other and our children: "You are my sunshine" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". My mother taught Max "Twinkle, Twinkle" right from when he was born. So, This month we (of course) went to the Planetarium. In another entry, I will tell you things about the planetarium and our experience there but here I want to talk about one moment. We saw a show age appropriate for max with Sesame Street characters. At one point they started singing twinkle, twinkle and max started singing and all the people in the theatre were singing and my husband was singing and things have still been so rough lately and my heart finally felt so full of love for my family and I was so glad the three of us were there together and that felt really good.

Teeny, Tiny little moments that will always loom large in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Again I am reminded just how related we are...I also would sing those same two songs (along with Amazing Grace)to my girls when they where little and have and continue to religously sing them to my granddaughters from day one. I love you lady!

    ReplyDelete